Thursday, 10 February 2011

E-mail to my MP on Votes for Prisoners

Dear Jessica Lee,

I'm not sure if you will remember me - I play Principal Cornet for the Long Eaton Silver Prize Band. You attended one of our concerts in St. Laurence Church last year. I hope this helps you put a face to the name!

I am writing to you on the subject of prisoners' voting rights, which I understand will be put to the vote in the House of Commons today. I hope this e-mail reaches you in time before the vote.

I urge you to vote against granting prisoners the vote. I find the concept of convicted criminals, who have broken the laws of this land, to have a say in making it, completely abhorrent, as do many of my friends and family. The argument that suffrage is a human right I find fundamentally flawed - if it were an inalienable human right, surely it would be granted to children?

The right to life is a human right. The right to vote is a civil and political one, enjoyed by law-abiding members of our society, and so it should remain.

Of course, this vote goes beyond the issue of prisoners' rights, and moves into constitutional territory. I find the fact that the Government feels that it must bow to the diktat of a European Court nauseating. Surely, if the UK is truly a sovereign nation, we should be free to govern ourselves in whichever way we see fit?

I therefore urge you to vote against prisoners being granted the vote, firstly because the measure itself is immoral, and secondly, because a Parliamentary rejection of the ECHR's ruling will set us on a path to constitutional reform, whereby the mother of all Parliaments may finally re-assert some of the sovereignty it has given away.

Yours sincerely,

Mr James Dennis BSc(Hons)