Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Tax Avoidance

I am getting bloody sick and tired of the constant Leftist rhetoric on tax avoidance. I am also sickened that some of this pathetic nonsense is emanating from Government Ministers.

'Oh, it's an outrage!'

'How DARE those people avoid paying taxes?'

'The rich should pay their fair share.'

Which leads me onto a little question: why is tax avoidance classed as immoral?

Because it shouldn't be, and here's why.

Tax avoidance is often conflated with tax evasion. It is important to make the difference. Tax evasion is deliberately not paying tax that is due. Tax avoidance is arranging your affairs in order to make sure that you aren't paying any more tax than you need to.

There can be no doubt about tax evasion being immoral, and illegal. The State, although it does have an unpleasant tendency to waste a lot of our money, does need to be funded, in order to guarantee individual freedoms, property rights, the rule of law and mutual defence and security.

However... why should anyone pay more tax than they need? The State is not a charitable cause. The State is not a voluntary organisation. The State is not virtuous. The State funds itself by robbing others. The State is a necessary evil, nothing more.

If some people want to give more money to the State, of their own free will, they will receive no criticism from me. They're entitled to do whatever they like with their money, even if I personally disagree with it. However, what I do with my money is nobody else's business. And after I have paid my taxes, what is left is my money, which I have received in exchange for my labour. And I will do what I like with it.

I, personally, choose not to give more money to the State than I need to, because the State has a high propensity to waste money, and spend it on things I don't want. Much as though I am sure that many of the charities the Government funds do sterling work, I do not value that work. I do not identify with the causes of Stonewall. I do not visit the opera, and therefore find it ridiculous that my taxes should subsidise tickets that I don't buy. I don't go to art galleries. I do not use leisure centres. Yet I am forced to pay for them all, through the taxes I have to pay. I resent that enough, so I'm certainly not going to voluntarily give more money to those causes.

I will spend my money on the things I want it spent on. I will give money to my brass band, and my local working men's club. I will give money to my local church. I will give money to the charities that I like, such as the National Trust. Then I spend half of what's left on wine, women and song. I'll probably waste the rest.

So, if a millionaire comedian decides that, actually, he really doesn't want to give an extra £1million A YEAR to the Government for them to spend on shit it thinks we need, I'm not going to criticise him. I'm going to fucking applaud him.

'Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.'
- Matthew 22:21

In other words, pay what is due.